Monday, August 1, 2011

Pride and Knowledge

Knowledge sure is power. It can make or break lives merely depending upon how it is used. Sometimes; I struggle to prevent knowledge from seeding unnecessary pride in me. It is a tricky slope. The higher you go, the mightier you feel and you can easily lose sight of the true purpose of gaining knowledge. I find learning medicine a very humbling experience. The more I learn; the more I feel there is to learn and perhaps; that keeps my pride in check. True greatness comes from humility and true knowledge should make you more humble rather than make your head swim in ill-founded pride. In medicine; knowing one's limitations and stemming ignorance which arises from those limitations is a constant challenge as much as fortifying and re-fortifying your strengths; thus medicine manages to always keep you grounded.

I ask fervently for the strength to always seek out new knowledge so I can use the best of my knowledge and skills to do the best for my patients and to tirelessly grow in humility and someday hope to emulate the great mentors I have been blessed to work with thus far and in the future.

No comments: