Saturday, March 5, 2011

I couldn't have done this!

I just completed my six interrupted weeks of Pediatric Neurology and needless to say the experience took its toll on me. The respect I have for Pediatric Neurologists has only increased manifold. Although I was fascinated by the amount of new stuff I was learning but all that learning was interspersed with way too many heart wrenching moments. You know that a field's not for you when you find yourself holding back tears at times more than you can actually keep a count of :(
As a medical student, I had enjoyed my Pediatric rotation for the sheer volume of knowledge I gained during those months but I had realized this very early on that I was not cut out for taking care of sick children in the hospital. I would get too lost in all the tears and all those smiles. I am so glad I made my choice early on. When I think of the contributions the field of Pediatric Neurology is making to the world, it's simply amazing for these physicians are caring for the sickest children and families and giving them so much to look forward to; giving them hope and perhaps their rights to live their dream again. When one of my attendings said that he found my enthusiasm for this field refreshing I couldn't help but tell him that I cannot even dream of doing what this teams's been doing and the least I can do is learn as much as I can as my tribute to this field!
Looking forward to my next six weeks as a PGY4 in Peds Neuro.

No comments: