Saturday, December 5, 2009

In medicine it is really better to have learnt and lost...

When I climbed up the two flights of stairs to reach the anatomy floor, the distinct pungent odour of formalin tickled my nostrils and as I looked up I found my eyes transfixed by a fresco of a human skeleton standing nonchalantly with a skeleton under his/her (I still don't know if that skeleton was a male/female :) )left hand with the words that would soon become a part of my life; "In anatomy it is better to have learnt and lost than never to have learnt at all." Obviously, I didn't realize how profound this statement was because I hadn't been confronted by anything like learning human anatomy. I later realized that no matter how much we studied in medicine not just anatomy, there were always going to be things which we would forget; things which we wouldn't use for years on end; concepts which would change everyday and life would only become more complex. I realized that a lot stuff we were studying was not going to appear on tests; would not affect patient care; would not make a difference to anyone but we studied it anyway! Then there was all that stuff which was going to make all the difference; stuff which was going to change lives and that was the kind of stuff you didn't want to ever forget. Unfortunately you realize a lot of this only in retrospect. This theme carries on to residency as well. I really wouldn't want to forget any of the stuff I am learning, reading, hearing everyday but if you don't use it; you lose it. The joy of understanding a concept and applying it probably surpasses any other; but what happens to all the other stuff? I hope I can keep learning for the joy of learning but at the same time not lose heart if I forget something but study it all over again like I will never forget!

1 comment:

Harini said...

you know... as i study for the CK and conrad fisher says beta-blockers are preferred inotropes for the failing heart over digoxin, my heart fell out of my mouth. i was damn sure my pharmac concepts were in the right place and i remember telling myself, this is not my cuppa tea. then fisher goes on to say that this is a recent concept and does not go well with 'old-timers'.
... just a thought in context to your line on changing concepts. they change faster than we would like them to. and accepting that well-entrenched beliefs are wrong is well another lesson in humility that medicine doles out to us with unfailing regularity.
yet, it is indeed better to have learnt and lost. else how can one explain the re-emergence of chloramphenicol in the treatment of typhoid - decades after it was discarded because of antibiotic resistance. :)

i know. total nerdspeak. :D