Monday, August 3, 2009

Cold hands, Warm heart!

As physicians, I feel we are in a unique position to learn so much from people who are around and those were and those who will be! There are so many moments we experience everyday which warm the cockles of our hearts, which raise a lump in our throats, which bring tears to the brink of betraying how human we are; moments filled with anguish, pain, helplessness; moments which are so full of hope which make us believe that there will be a better tomorrow, that there will be a better answer, that there will questions which will make us think for the better...

There has been so much which I have experienced as a medical student, intern and now as a resident which has made me who I am and there's so much which continues to inspire me to become a better physician and a better person. I really want to remember all those fundamental life-changing moments as much as the subtle changes which are slowly becoming a part of who I am as a physician.

I don't know where to start but I guess I will start with every morning...
Every morning as an intern at SVH and now as a PGY2 at UH, there's something amazing I experience every morning; something which I had never experienced back home. My hands remain icy cold! I, of course try to warm them up but don't think I do such a good job of that. All my septuagenarian and octogenarian patients who are sleeping soundly under layers of blankets wake up to the sound of an energetic good morning and the touch of cold hands! Now I've started warning them that I am really sorry but that's the way my hands are...I can't recollect the number of times I've already heard this but I think I want to hear it over and over again as they laugh heartily and say, "Cold hands but warm heart!" And then I smile to myself and feel that was yet another great start to yet another promising day.

5 comments:

C said...

hmmm...dunno if u're a fan or not but Elliot Reid on Scrubs also has cold hands....just some random trivia...nothing more :)

Suchitra said...

Finally now I can! Very sweet piece! Keep touching lives :)

Neha Subhash Dangayach said...

@ C:
Lol! I watched every single episode of scrubs right uptil season 7, episode 3 (when the writers' guild went on a strike and all naive souls discovered that all those smart Alecks on the screen aren't that smart after all without their ghost writers :) ).
Unfortunately, the comeback of Scrubs was quite a let-down but I am guessing Elliot Reid still has icy cold hands :)

Neha Subhash Dangayach said...

@ Suchitra:
Thank you so much!
And thanks for adding me to your blog-roll. I am going to add you to my blog-roll, provided I figure out that I have one :)

Energetica said...

Wow! Reading your blog is better than watching all those medecine-related soaps/dramas on TV - and not the least because it is REAL! A perfect read for a non-doctor (wistful non-doctor, more like!) like me! :) Keep writing and giving us glimpses into the world of wards and rounds and brave patients and overworked doctors and nurses... :)